Ten Book Related Problems
(Feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish)
Today's topic made me think of the hilarious videos from the Epic Reads ladies. If you're not familiar, and like to nerd out over books, check out their YouTube channel. It will make your day. I'm also a huge fan of this Buzz Feed video. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know that others understand just how hard it is to be a book lover.
If you've stopped by TheGnomingLibrarian before, you've probably heard me talking about a few of my book related problems. And if you realize that you are slightly obsessed with books and reading and have accepted the fact that you are a total nerd, check out the tumblr "Problems of a Book Nerd," and let your nerd flag fly :)
My name is Emily, and here are ten of my book related problems:
1) I read so much that I have a very hard time remembering what books are really about...which is a problem if you are a librarian who is called upon to offer reading suggestions on a daily basis. "Have I read this?" "I'm pretty sure it's about this girl..."
2) I like what I like...and so I neglect the other 100,000+ books in my local public library. My mother is always asking me if I read anything "grown up." To which I reply..."I'm sorry, what did you say? I wasn't paying attention because this teen book is so good."
3) I wish that an author's series of books were released together, or a month or two apart. Let's be done with this in a year. Or I suppose I could always wait until they're all out. See #1.
4) I like my bookshelves straight and in order, so when I wander innocently into a bookstore, it is impossible for me not to volunteer my time to making things look nice and pretty...and offering book suggestions to other customers who give me frightened looks. Definitely a problem. I haven't been asked to leave anywhere yet, but I fear it's just a matter of time.
5) I have a modest library in my home filled with books I love and titles I'm sure I'll love some day. The thing is, those "sure fire favorites" are still sitting on the shelf waiting to be read. Oh the pull of shiny new books at the library.
6) I have books scattered all over my home half read. There is, truthfully, a different book in each room that I'm currently reading. Why can't you carry a book from one room to the next and finish it in a timely matter? Because that would be easy. And I like to live my life on the edge.
7) Have you ever chosen the wrong book to read in public? Have you been spotted laughing awkwardly to yourself or suffering from ugly face as you try desperately not to cry? Major book problem. Unless you just own it :) [As depicted by The Epic Reads channel]
8) I like to give books as presents. But I failed to catalog what I was getting people, so now I have to ruin all surprises by asking the recipient if they have already received a particular title. #giftfail.
9) The hype. I'm sure you've been drawn in before. "This is the best book I've ever read!" "It changed my life." "This is the next Harry Potter!" So I check it out. And I read it. And I am woefully disappointed when the book doesn't meet my very high expectations. Ugh.
10) And I saw this one on Problems of a Book Nerd and realized that this can often be a serious problem: "You have too many bookmarks on hand...up until the moment when you actually need one." Preach! Then you're searching for anything that you can stick in your book that won't leave a mark or ruin the spine.
Oh the wacky life of a reader :) So what's on your list?