Top Ten Things On My Reading Wishlist
(Feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish)
If you could make authors write about these things you would (could be a specific type of character, an issue tackled, a time period, a certain plot, etc.).
At first I thought this was going to be tricky. I'll read just about anything. And then I started to think about all of my favorite books and what made them my favorite and my list came together pretty quickly. So this is what I've got:
1) I could use a little more Narnia. Water nymphs, talking animals that don't make me crazy, a stone table of sacrifice and forgiveness. Yeah. I could use a little more Narnia.
2) Multiple perspectives. Code Name Verity blew my mind. I loved hearing one story, than another, but they come together in amazing and unexpected ways.
3) Intelligent, compassionate, witty male characters. I'm looking at you Richard Campbell Gansey III.
4) Narrators. I love it when the narrator talks to the reader, like they're both watching the story unfold, breaking the fourth wall. Maybe a little more of the intimacy of A Series of Unfortunate Events or The Tale of Despereaux.
5) Did you say fairy? I hope you said fairy.
6) Is this a dream? I love stories that start in "contemporary" wherever and then whisk the character away to some strange, imaginary land. Alice gets lost in Wonderland, Dorothy in Oz, Valente in Fairyland, Milo in the Kingdom of Wisdom.
7) Not quality literature, but I'm a sucker for a good ancient scavenger hunt like The Da Vinci Code, solving riddles and hunting for clues, racing through historical cities while being chased by scary secret societies.
8) Strong, independent, kick-butt female heroines who can stand on their own two feet, but are comfortable in relationships at the same time. Caelena Sardothian, Josie Moraine, Elvie Nara, Blue Sargent, Elizabeth Bennet, Hazel Grace, Verity...
9) Fast paced, intelligent, hilarious dialogue that makes you fall in love with the most despicable villains, pushes you outside of your comfort zone, makes you dream of being just as quick-witted as the characters in the story.
10) Roadtrip! Let's get out onto the open road, wind in our hair, good music blaring out of the speakers, and something tells me we'll learn a little bit about ourselves while we're out there.
And 11) (Because it just came to me and it should have really been #1) Fun chapter titles. Be it song lyrics or "In which..." foreshadowing. I love me some awesome chapter titles.
What's on your list? Happy reading!!