I discovered this gem several years ago, and it quickly became one of my favorite October "scary movies. In case you're not familiar:
Basically Dracula sets out to find all of his badie friends who converge on one small town in particular. A group of teens (and pre-teens) discover his plot to use Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Wolfman, and the Mummy to take over the world. They form a club known as The Monster Squad to stop the ancient vampire in his tracks.
I thought I'd compile a list of 5 reasons why The Monster Squad is made of awesome and you should absolutely check it out at your earliest convenience:
- It's got all of the stereotypes: mean teachers that resemble their pets, a scary neighbor who turns out to be more helpful than mean, the need for a virgin to save the world, the bad boy, the ditzy blonde, the best friends, the annoying sibling, and, of course, the unpopular kid who ends up totally kicking butt.
- It's got killer dialogue and one liners (which I realize only works if you've seen the movie or their said out loud with sarcasm and enthusiasm :) Come find me. I'll be happy to re-enact these precious moments) :
- Rudy: [after defeating the mummy] See you later, Band-Aid Breath!
- Horace: [after kicking the wolfman] Wolfman's got nards!
- Patrick: [after having the "virgin" read the spell to stop the monsters] You're not a virgin? Patrick's sister [shakes her head] No? What do you mean no? Patrick's sister: Well, Steve...but he doesn't count. Patrick: DOESN'T COUNT!
So there you go. I dare you to argue the awesomeness of this masterpiece with me. If you do get yourhands on it, please oh please let me know what you think!